San Diego City College is a public, two-year community college administered by the San Diego Community College District. Serving as the educational cornerstone of downtown San Diego, the college offers more than 100 majors, 100 certificate programs and 1,500 classes each semester to 18,000 students. City College will celebrate its 100th Anniversary in 2014.
1914 City College established as the first community college in San Diego (San Diego Junior College) with 35 students and 4 instructors. City College was the third community college established in California.
1921 City College moved from the high school to share facilities with the State Normal School, the four-year teachers' college which became San Diego State University.
1939 San Diego Evening Junior College was created by splitting the institution into two entities, day and evening. With the industrial growth in San Diego, the Evening College was needed to meet the demand for college courses for daytime working people.
1946 City College moved back to San Diego High School and reorganized into three branches: San Diego Vocational High School, San Diego College Arts and Sciences, and San Diego Evening Junior College.
1953-54 The first parcel of land, a single city block between Russ Boulevard and A Street, from 14th to 15th Streets, was purchased for the permanent home of what is now San Diego City College. The first buildings constructed were the A and T buildings.
1970s Increasing enrollment resulted in a major expansion project bounded by Russ Boulevard, 17th, 12th and C Streets. The L, C, S, M, E, D and F buildings were constructed.
1972 San Diego Voters authorized a separate Community College District.
1988 A facilities Master Plan was developed to recommend modifications to the existing facility, to meet current and future needs.
1989 City College celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
1992 The new 3,000-square foot Fitness Center opens with full fitness and exercise facilities.
1998 City College leased to San Diego Unified School District, property on which Garfield High School and a 420-space parking structure is built. City students have shared use of the parking and the College can offer classes in the facility.
2000 Construction completed on the 8,000-square foot Educational Technology Center. The ETC is fully equipped with state-of-the-art media and teleconferencing equipment.
2002 The 67,000-square-foot Learning Resource Center (LRC) replaced the 30-year-old library. Complete with the most advanced research and learning tools available with 300-internet connected computers, multiple electronic databases, plasma displays offering continuous broadcast news, a collection of more than 67,000 books and over 200 periodicals. The three-level LRC also houses the Multimedia Center, the Independent Learning Center, and CitySITE - a center for faculty and staff development.
2005 A new Facilities Master Plan was approved by the Board of Trustees and projects a 20-year build-out to accommodate 25,000 students.
2005 The 2,000-seat, 55,000-square foot Harry West Gymnasium opened. Dedicated to beloved Coach West, students enjoy three regulation basketball courts, six badminton courts, three volleyball courts, intercollegiate team rooms, workout facilities and new classrooms.
2007 Eight high-tech classrooms added to the LRC lower level, with additional offices and meeting space.
2009 The 27,800 square-foot Academic Success Center opened to provide a one-stop service area for students, including: Tutorial Center, Math and English Centers, and the EOPS, MESA (Math, Engineering, & Science Achievement), New Horizons, Puente, Umoja, and the CalWORKs Programs.
2010 The new 88,000 SF CTC – Career Technology Center - opens. This five-level building at 16th & C Streets houses Cosmetology, Nursing, Photography and Digital Arts, a Student Gallery, the College Police and an 11-story 700-car parking structure.
2011 Groundbreakings were held for the new 128,000 SF Arts and Humanities and 62,000 SF Business Technology buildings in February. and the fivestory 85,000 SF Mathematics, Social and Behavioral Sciences in May. These buildings will provide new classrooms, computer labs, lecture halls, and parking for more than 400 cars.