Petition for Graduation

Graduation is not automatic upon completion of requirements. A student who expects to receive the Associate Degree or the Certificate of Achievement must file a Petition for Graduation. The Petition may be completed online at:, or obtained in the Counseling Office. See Academic Calendar section for important filing dates.

Official college transcripts from all colleges attended must be on file before submitting the petition for Associate Degree or Certificate of Achievement.

A petition for an associate degree evaluation should be submitted one year before the student plans to graduate.

An evaluation is a summary of college work completed and of requirements to be completed for the associate degree or the certificate of achievement. Only evaluations completed by one of the College Evaluators are official.

Students who have petitioned for graduation should notify the evaluator immediately of any name or address change.

Students who are working toward a certificate of achievement should file the Petition for Graduation prior to the beginning of the semester in which they plan to complete the requirements of their certificate program.

Catalog Rights

Students who maintain continuous enrollment may choose to graduate under the (City College, Mesa College, and Miramar College) catalog in effect at the time they began their studies in a California Community College, California State University, or University of California campus, or under the catalog in effect at the time of graduation.

Certification of a student’s completion of CSU general education requirements or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) is not a graduation requirement. Therefore, students do not have catalog rights to a certification pattern used by a certifying institution or a CSU or UC campus. For more information on catalog rights at transfer institutions consult a counselor or visit the Transfer/Career center.

Continuous Enrollment

Continuous enrollment is defined as attendance in one semester or two quarters (excluding summer) within a calendar year in either the CSU, UC, or California Community College System.

Awarding of Degrees or Certificates

Associate Degrees/Certificates of Achievement will be awarded at the end of the semester in which the requirements are completed.

The graduation ceremony is held once a year. Candidates for Fall, Spring and Summer graduation may participate in the ceremony which is held at the end of the Spring semester.


Diplomas are issued only after completion of all graduation requirements have been verified.
Diplomas will be issued in the name of record at the time the diploma is awarded. For information on obtaining your diploma or certificate of achievement, or a duplicate copy, please contact the Evaluations Office on campus.

Graduation with Distinction

Graduation with honors distinction will be based upon all coursework that is associate degree and lower division baccalaureate degree applicable.

Graduation with Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 3.5 GPA, High Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 3.75 GPA, and Highest Honors is granted to students who achieve an overall 4.0 GPA.

Students will be notified that this distinction is pending at the time of the graduation ceremony, when the GPA will be calculated based upon degree or certificate applicable coursework completed through the fall semester of the year of the ceremony. The final distinction will be determined upon completion of all coursework completed through the spring semester for spring graduates or the summer term for summer graduates.

Additional College Degree

A student having received an associate or baccalaureate degree may qualify for an additional Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree in a new major or concentration.

An additional degree:

  1. Permits upgrading or preparation for upgrading current employment.
  2. Prepares for employment in an area different from that provided by previous training.
  3. Provides general knowledge leading to fulfillment of personal goals.
    The following requirements are applicable:

    1. The degree to be earned must represent a change in major or concentration from the degree or degrees previously earned.
    2. A student must earn a minimum of 18 required semester units in the new major or concentration beyond the minimum 60 units required for the Associate Degree, bringing the total units required for the second degree to a minimum of 78 units, a minimum of 96 units for the third degree, and so on. Twelve (12) semester units of the new major or concentration must be completed in residence.
    3. A student must fulfill current catalog associate degree requirements.
    4. In order to receive an additional college degree, the student must file a Petition for Graduation in the Evaluations Office. The college evaluator will review all previous college work to determine the student's eligibility for a second degree.