THE NURSING ADMISSION PROCESS
The San Diego City College Nursing Education Program admits students in the Fall semester only. Admission to the program is based on a multi-criteria system. Points are allocated to the applicant in several areas, including but not limited to the following:
- Pre-requisite course GPA in the required science classes
- A fixed set GPA in courses required for the degree
- atiTEAS score
- Previous academic degrees
- Health care work experience
- Allied Health license or certificate
for the full grid of criteria used.
Applications are accepted from September 1 to December 1 of each year.
BASIC ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS FOR ADMISSION
Applicants apply one year before beginning the Nursing Education Program. Applications are accepted from September 1 to December 1 of each year. The following requirements must be met to apply for the program:
- Students must pass the atiTEAS with a score of 62% or higher. Only official atiTEAS results, sent to the college from ATI, will be accepted. the atiTEAS test can be taken at any testing center. Students interested in taking the atiTEAS at San Diego City College, contact the Nursing Education Department at 619-388-3441. Students must submit the results of all TEAS tests taken. San Diego City College will not accept unofficial copies of TEAS results from students or from other colleges.
- Completion of Immunizations or evidence of positive titres (click here for Immunization form). Please print form and the form completed by your healthcare provider.
- Completion of the following PREREQUISITES with a minimum grade of “C” or better. A combined grade point average of 2.5 or higher is required.
- # Biology 230, Human Anatomy: with lab 4 semester units or equivalent
- * Biology 235, Human Physiology: with lab 4 semester units or equivalent.
- * Biology 205, Microbiology: with lab 5 semester units or equivalent.
# Must be completed within a ten-year period preceding qualifying date of eligibility.
*Must be completed within a seven-year period preceding qualifying date of eligibility.
Only one (1) repeat of one (1) science prerequisite course is allowed. A withdrawal ("W") is considered a repeated course.
While we do not recommend taking ALL science prerequisites, particularly Anatomy, online with online labs, the PREREQUISITE COURSE EQUIVALENCY POLICY follows:
San Diego City College Nursing Education Program will accept as equivalent any prerequisite course (including online science courses and labs) taken at a regionally accredited college or university (ACCJC) with equivalent units and content. When there is a question about equivalent content, the San Diego City College department associated with the course (eg: Biology for Science prerequisites) will make the final decision.
Qualifying date of eligibility refers to the date of filing completed application materials, including official transcripts, with the Nursing Admission's Office. IF you take the 3 prerequisite biology classes at SDCCD, you will be required to complete Biology 107 and Chemistry 100 and 100L as prerequisites to BIOL 205, 230 and 235.
All students having met the basic entrance requirements are eligible for admission. The Nursing program accepts a class of 50-60 first year students each fall semester for the generic RN program and 8-12 students for the LVN-RN/ LVN 30 unit option program.
If accepted to the nursing program, students will be encouraged to enroll in and pass the Nursing Student Success course, NRSE 092. LVN-TN students will be required to enroll in and successfully complete NRSE 235 - LVN-RN Transition.
If accepted to the nursing program, students will be required to complete immunizations or show evidence of positive titres prior to program start date. All students MUST submit evidence of a positive hepatitis B titre. Click here for the immunization form.
You can contact the Nursing Department Office by emailing Susan Chandler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
last updated: 11/01/2016