General Eligibility Requirements

These are some of the general eligibility requirements. Depending on the financial aid program or your unique circumstances, you may have other eligibility requirements that must be met before receiving financial aid.

  • To receive aid, you must be enrolled in an approved program of study leading to an associate degree, certificate of achievement, or transfer to a four-year college. You must be enrolled in at least one class at City College every semester to receive your financial aid. Classes taken at Mesa, Miramar and ECC will be counted towards your total enrollment.
  • You are encouraged to follow an Educational Plan and to enroll only in classes towards your stated educational goals.
  • Classes you enroll in for a Study Abroad program offered at San Diego City College will be used for determining financial aid eligibility. 
  • You should receive financial aid from the college that offers your declared major. Failure to do so could result in denial of financial aid.
  • You must meet and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy by clicking this link, SAP.
  • Effective July 1, 2012, new students who enroll for the first time after July 1, 2012 must have a high school diploma, GED or equivalent to receive federal student aid. Students who were enrolled prior to July 1, 2012 may still be eligible for aid by passing an approved Ability to Benefit (ATB) test or completing six core units. Students who have already qualified under the ATB option will continue to be eligible. Contact the Financial Aid Office for more information. For a simple, easy to understand flowchart of who is eligible for the ATB Options, please click this link, ATB Options.
  • You must not be in default on any Federal Education Loan (Perkins, Stafford, PLUS, Direct), or any other Federal loan at any college or institution.
  • You must not owe a refund or repayment on any Title IV grant program (Pell, FSEOG, ACG, State Student Incentive Grant) at any college or institution.
  • You cannot receive aid while simultaneously enrolled in elementary or secondary school (high school) and college.
  • You must have financial need as determined by the Federal Methodology.
  • You must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident of the United States or be in the country for other than a temporary purpose with the intention of becoming a permanent resident. You may be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship. This applies to Federal Student Aid only. AB540 students may receive State aid, see below.
  • Eligible non-citizens may be required to provide proof of permanent residency for federal aid. (Alien Registration Cards I-94, I-155, I-688 or U.S. Immigration and Naturalization letter granting asylum, etc.). International/Foreign Students (I-20 Visa holders) are not eligible for financial aid. For further information regarding other eligible immigration status, please contact your Financial Aid Office.
  • AB540 students may now apply for and receive certain state aid such as the BOG Fee Waiver and Cal Grant along with certain scholarships. For more information, click this link, AB540.
  • If you are a male, your Selective Service registration must be confirmed by the Selective Service agency, or you will be required to present a letter from Selective Service indicating that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or that you are not required to register. To register for Selective Service, check your registration status or request a Status Information Letter because you didn’t register between the ages 18-25, go to
  • You must provide proof of a valid social security number if requested.
  • Your financial aid eligibility may be suspended for a conviction of violating federal or state drug possession or sale laws while you were receiving federal student aid.

This page last updated on August 2, 2016.