“There are many aspects involved in the development of a qualified student. For me, one of the most important ones has been industry exposure. A student who has been exposed to the industry is a student who is more aware of the opportunities that are out there in the field and who demonstrates a greater level of commitment and dedication to what he or she is interested in
.” -Gaby Baylon, Mechanical Engineering Major
, City College transfer to UCSD, Fall 2007
MESAdvantage Standards for Industry Exposure:
- Resume, cover letter, and reference list
- Participate in job or mock or informational interviews
- Join a professional or student organization
- Serve as a student chapter officer
- Attend MESA Industry Training Academy
- Attend Professional Development seminars and activities
- Research companies
- Job shadow industry professionals at work
- Obtain an industry mentor
- Obtain experience via internship or volunteerism
- Other industry exposure activities
Learn more, see the Industry Exposure guildelines for completing each standard (PDF).
Available internships and resources:
University of Minnesota
University of Virginia
Cover Letter Resources
Resources: What is Research?
CareerOneStop - America's Career InfoNet
Every MESA Creator
must be familiar with this website!
This is a fantastic site for finding an "occupation profile" for your career choice. Occupation profiles include an occupation description, career video, wage information, employment trends, important knowledge, skills & abilities, tools & technology, eduation and training
, and much more! Pay close attention to the list of tasks and activities for your occupation of interest. Do you have experience doing similar activities? Be sure to include them in your resume
Enter your desired occupation in the "site search
" window, then choose the occupation(s) that best matches your interests.
City College Career Services
Visit this site for more information on Career Planning Steps, Career Counseling, Jobs & Internships, Job Readiness Services
, and much more!