Welcome to the Math Center!
Are you struggling with math? Need some help? Our tutors are standing by ready to help you understand math concepts and solve math problems. Our services are free and available to all City College students. Don't struggle. Let us help.
|- Become confident and independent readers and writers at the
Tutorial / Learning Center
- Free math tutoring
- Refresher courses
- Computer access for mathematics only
- Weekly workshops (Math 38, 46, 96)
- Study groups
Location and Hours
Monday - Thursday: 10:00 am - 6:30 pm
Friday: 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Closed - Sunday and District Holidays
While our facility and services are open to all City College math students, first priority access is given to students taking one of the Math Center Math 15ABC courses.
Trained tutors and professors are available throughout the day. Many times you will find that one or two words from a tutor can help clear up difficulties that could take you up to hours on your own.
Because of the large number of students, tutors may only be able to spend 5 or 10
minutes with you. If you still feel like you need more time for tutoring, please see
a supervisor for suggestions.
We offer tutoring in two formats:
- On-the-fly support: On demand service for any student who has a quick question like help on some homework problems. Just come into the main computer lab, raise your hand and a tutor will come by to help.
- One-on-one support: These sessions with a tutor address math support in greater depth like review before an exam or reviewing a returned test to discuss problems missed. Sessions are available depending on tutor availability for that day. Speak to the front desk staff to request a one-on-one session.
The Math Center currently offers 12-week Pass/No Pass self-learning refresher courses
for Pre-Algebra (15A), Introductory Algebra & Geometry (15B) and Intermediate Algebra
& Geometry (15C).
We also offer computer access to math software, areas to do math homework with access to tutors for all math levels, and quiet areas to take make-up exams.
At the tutoring center, we have all of this to help you.
- A 45 workstation main computer lab offering limited access to selected math-related websites including:
- Virtual TI-84 Graphing Calculators
- A 10 workstation testing room / computer lab for test proctoring services
- A smaller workroom where we hold weekly developmental math level workshops (Math 38/46/96)
- A quiet study area for students looking for a distraction-free environment
- A study area for one-on-one tutoring
The Math Center is a free tutoring resource available to all San Diego City College math students. Our mission is to provide a flexible learning-centered environment in which students develop the necessary knowledge and skills to not only help them deepen their level of understanding in mathematics, but also succeed.
Tracey Kiser - Math Center Coordinator
Kate Woodward - Math Center Manager
Paul Young - Math Faculty/Acting Math Department Chair
Nick Slinglend - Math Faculty/Math Department Co-Chair
Carlos de la Lama - Acting Dean of Engineering, Math, Science, and Nursing