Assessment Center L-207
We provide testing for:
- Placement tests for English, math and ESOL courses
- Apprenticeship assessment tests in math and English
- Ability to Benefit Test (ATB)
- CELSA Ability to Benefit for ESOL students
PREPARE YOURSELF BEFORE Taking the test
New students must complete the online orientation before taking the assessment tests.
Once you complete the orientation, print out the final page and bring it to your test.
You should take the test very seriously. If you are not satisfied with your test results, you will need to wait three (3) years before being allowed to retake the test. Also, you may not retake the test once you complete an English or math class at City, Mesa or Miramar College. So take time to prepare before you test!
Accuplacer® TESTING TIPS AND Sample Questions
ESOL Sample Questions
Resources for Purchase from Accuplacer
The Official ACCUPLACER iPhone and Web-Based Apps
Testing is by appointment only.
- New Students: Contact First Year Services (619) 388-3998 to schedule Assessment Test and New Student Orientation.
- A 7-digit College Student ID number (CSID) is required to sign up for testing. You received your CSID number via email after you submitted your application for admission. If you're not sure what your CSID number is, you can look it up on Reg-e. (Click "Get Your CSID" button.)
- Continuing Students: Contact Counseling to schedule your test: (619) 388-3540.
You must bring a valid photo ID with you to test. No exceptions.
The ID must include your name and a recognizable photograph. Original ID only; we cannot accept copies. The only acceptable forms of photo identification are any one of the following: current driver's license, state approved ID, college ID, current passport, naturalization card, current state or federal ID card, tribal ID card, certificate of citizenship.
Testing accommodations are available to students with verified disabilities. Contact the Disability Support Programs and Services (DSPS) office to determine if you are eligible
Past Educational Achievements in Mathematics or EnglishYou are not required to take our assessment test if you have completed prior college coursework in Math and/or English, or:
- You took an EAP test within the last two years and scored "Ready for CSU college-level" in Math and/or English
- Send official EAP scores to: San Diego Community College District
3375 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92108-3883
- You scored a 3, 4 or 5 on an AP test in Math or English.
NOTE: Students are required to submit official transcripts of all prior college coursework. Once submitted, you must request an evaluation of the transcripts. See the Student Web Services site for directions.
Review the Course Sequence Charts to determine the proper sequence of courses to take based on your assessment skill levelsEnglish Course Sequence Chart Math Course Sequence Chart
See the Apprenticeship site for requirements
Use the Accuplacer sample test to prepare.
Ability to benefit (ATB)
The Ability to Benefit (ATB) test is used to determine eligibility for federal financial aid for students who do not have a high school diploma or GED. This is taken separately from the placement test, and is a pass/fail test. The Financial Aid office will determine if you are required to take the ATB test.
We offer two versions of the ATB:
- Accuplacer ATB for students whose primary language is English
- CELSA ATB for ESOL Students