The San Diego City College Diversity Committee will take a lead role in fostering a campus environment that welcomes and respects diverse life experiences. It is committed to promoting diversity among the faculty and staff that reflects the diversity of the City College student population. The committee will also advance a broader awareness of diversity through the initiation of policy and programs that support the mission, philosophy and institutional goals of San Diego City College.
Definition of Diversity
Diversity includes, but is not limited to, ethnicity, language, culture, national origin, class, race, gender, age, sexual identity, religion, disability, and political affiliation.
five point plan and Charge
With a shared vision on the mission, the committee will accomplish task and social goals connected to the five point plan:
Outreach & Education
Our commitment to diversity requires us to:
- Support the institutional priority of equity, inclusiveness and diversity identified in the Master Plan
- Increase campus awareness of the importance of a college climate that honors and promotes diversity
- Develop strategies to ensure the recruitment and retention of diverse contract and adjunct faculty, classified staff and administrators
- Act as campus resource for colleges, departments and faculty by introducing curriculum and teaching strategies that improve the academic success and persistence rates of all students, particularly nontraditional students
- Promote the Mission and Charge of the Diversity Committee on campus and District committees and projects
- Assess, collect and disseminate to the campus community data pertaining to campus climate and attitudes toward diversity
- Facilitate opportunities for public discussion relating to diversity
- Collaborate with administration, faculty and staff to ensure realization of the Charge of the Academic Senate Diversity Committee at City College