DSPS Department- We are Here for You!
In light of the recent developments concerning COVID-19, and the college's transition to remote instruction, we recognize that students may be feeling a bit overwhelmed. We understand that the transition to remote learning methods might present various levels of access barriers for students and we want you to know that DSPS at City College remains committed to supporting your educational journey and providing equal educational access for students with disabilities.
Meet Darwin, one of the amazing DSPS Professionals that has served City College students for the last 20 years! Darwin and the rest of the DSPS Team looks forward to connecting with you!
Remote Services Are Available, connect with us!
If you are a new student requesting for DSPS services for the first time or if you have taken time off and have not received DSPS services in over 1 year, please complete an application for services.
If you are a current student who has received City DSPS services within the last year (Fall 2019-Current) and would like to request services please submit an appointment request.
Additional ways to connect with us
By Phone: 619-388-3994 (Voicemail)
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
What services and support can we provide to you?
- Access & Academic Accommodations for Remote Learning: DSPS Counselors authorize a variety of individualized accommodations to students in both remote learning and physical on campus environments. Accommodations such as; extended time on exams, priority registration, recording lectures, note-taking & test taking strategies, textbooks in alternate formats (ex: Audio) ASL interpreting services, speech to text captioning services, and more.
- Educational Planning: DSPS counselors can assist you in creating both a short term and long term educational road map, also known as an "Ed Plan" that aligns with your goals and disability related needs.
- Technology Training/Assistive Technology Support: Our HTC team can assist you remotely with technology questions, assistive technology training, and alternate media production requests.
- Educational Assistance Class: DSPS 34 is offered in Fall 2020 and is a class that is designed to prepare students
for remote learning and provide an introduction to college success skills with a focus
on computer/web based programs such as canvas, blackboard, zoom, google docs and more!
DSPS 34 Course Flyer
- Campus Liaison & General Information: We can assist you with connecting to various remote supports and services, provide general information and liaison with your professors & other departments on campus.
- disAbility Club/Delta Alpha Pi Honor's Society: During Fall & Spring semesters club meetings are held every 1 & 3 Wednesday of the month. This club aspires to change the perception and negative stereotyping associated with disability by recognizing students with disabilities for their academic accomplishments. In addition, it facilitates development of community, skills in leadership, advocacy and education for participating students.
Check out other resources that might benefit you
We acknowledge that you might be experiencing one or many unmet basic needs and other barriers during this time, and would like to share with you information on how to connect with other Remote/Online Student Services resources and supports including mental health counseling services, student health services, tutoring services, information about basic needs housing and food insecurities, and much more!
Faculty & Staff Access & Accommodation Consultations
We can also provide support to faculty and staff during the transition to support accessibility for all students in the remote learning environment. For support with captioning resources, test proctoring and disability accommodation questions or to brainstorm ways to incorporate Universal Design for Learning in your classroom please join us in our DSPS Zoom Room!
Mondays - Thursday 2:00-4:00pm
Or Telephone: +1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
Meeting ID: 940 8136 0990