The Career Pathways Institute (CPI) is a year-long professional development program that provides City College employees the opportunity to learn or enhance existing workplace skills, and aims to foster an environment of collaboration and a sense of belonging throughout campus.
Participants are required to attend professional development workshops, then meet monthly as a group to discuss and reflect on various topics about career advancement and leadership in higher education with guest speakers. More information on program components and estimated time committments are detailed below.
- Group meetings, with featured guests (monthly, 1-2 hours)
- Readings and reflection (monthly, 1-2 hours)
- Workshops* (varies, monthly, 1-4 hours)
- Workshops are part of the professional development offerings available to the campus.
Planned workshops for the year include but are not limited to:
- Culturally Competent Leadership Develoment (series of 4)**
- Grant Writing
- Event Management
- Time Management
- Data Literacy**
- Public Speaking
- Equity-centered Leadership Qualities
- "FRISK" Training
- Mentorship Principles
- Office Technology
- Career Advancement in the California Community Colleges**
- Resume and Cover Letter Strategies
- Mock Interviews
- Workshops are part of the professional development offerings available to the campus. Planned workshops for the year include but are not limited to:
- Job shadowing (once per semester, 2-4 hours)
*Workshops are still being scheduled and will be announced and added to the Professional Development Calendar as they are confirmed.
All City College employees are eligible and encouraged to apply, with their supervising manager's approval. Two (2) forms must be submitted:
Important Dates (2019-2020)
- Application period: August 26 - September 6
- Participants notified by: September 10
- Orientation: September 13
Can I use this professional development program to advance on the pay scale?
Unfortunately, no, this program is not being offered for units at this time.
I'm unable to attend all of the group meetings. Can I still participate?
Yes, though it is highly recommended that you attend most of the meetings to get the benefit of this cohort-based program.
Can I just attend the workshops without going to the meetings or doing the job shadow?
Yes! The workshops are available to all City College employees. The CPI program includes the group/cohort meetings, guided reflection assignments, and job shadow opportunities, in addition to the workshops.