Student Project & Research Symposium
" A Celebration of Student Excellence "
9:00 am - 1:30 pm, Thursday, April 20, 2023
AH/BT Quad; Live on SDCC Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/sandiegocitycollege1914
In Conjunction with the 9th Annual Community Open House
This 2023 Student Project & Research Symposium (SP&RS) is open to all City College
students. Participants will be given the opportunity to present their original projects
and research through posters, oral presentations, spoken word, video, artistic displays
Interested students are invited to submit an application for this annual symposium. Please read all information below before applying.
Applications are due by
Monday, April 10, 2023 at noon.
The Symposium is co-sponsored by the City College Academic Senate.
Students must work with a faculty mentor before submitting an application. The faculty
mentor must review the completed application before it is submitted. Additional guidance
for both Mentors and Students is available at the LRC.
Only online registrations will be accepted. Registration closes Monday, April 10, 2023 at noon.
All applications received on or before April 10 will be reviewed by the Symposium Organizing Committee. The Committee reserves the right to "accept" or "not accept" applications. Applicants will be sent an e-mail confirmation with their application status by April 13. Please work with your mentor to complete your project.
Posters must be displayed between 9 am and 1 pm. Presenters are expected to adjust their schedules to remain with their posters as much as possible to answer any questions and discuss their research with attendees. Exceptions are made for attending classes. Please see the "Sample Poster Presentation" for detailed instructions. Faculty mentors must review and approve the final posters before they are presented.
- the video meets the time constraints of less than 5 minutes;
- that all outside sources (research/audio/video/images) are appropriately cited as to avoid plagiarism and any copyright infringement;
- that you've recorded in a format acceptable to Canvas Studio;
- that the final recorded piece represents the project parameters decided between you and your mentor;
- the application must be submitted (see link below) by the student(s) and the video uploaded by the Faculty mentor to the Research Symposium Canvas shell before the April 10th, 2023 deadline.
Recorded presentations will be scheduled between 9 am and 12:30 pm. The Symposium Organizers will coordinate the presentation schedule with all presenters and they will remain available on our YouTube page.
Communication Showcase will be scheduled between 11:15 and 12:15 pm. Applicants will be referred by a faculty member in Speech, Radio, TV, Film, or Journalism. Your participation will include a presentation in the form of a speech or an excerpt from a project in Radio, TV, Film, or Journalism. Please work with your mentor to complete the project. Professor Erin Engstrom will coordinate your participation in the event.
Spoken Word will be scheduled between 12:30 and 1 pm. Entries are limited to 3 minutes and students may submit a maximum of 2 entries (pending room in the program for multiple presentations). In addition to completing the online application, please submit a copy of your Spoken Word entry by email to Professor Deanna Shelton. Spoken word can include performance poetry, poetry readings, storytelling, commentary, or VAMP.
The Symposium Committee is grateful to faculty mentors for supporting students in the pursuit of academic excellence. The role of the faculty mentor is very important in the research process. Faculty mentors have the following responsibilities:
- Identify students who are outstanding candidates for presenting their work in the Symposium
- Approve a student's Symposium application before it is submitted
- Work with participating students to complete their research project
- Work with participating students to complete their presentation
- Attend the Symposium to view the participating student's presentation
Application (Online Form) -
- Deadline: Monday, April 10, 2023 at noon
- Note: For "Oral Presentations" - In addition to completing the online application, please submit a draft copy of your PowerPoint presentation by email to Professor Erin Engstrom ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
Questions about the Student Project & Research Symposium may be directed to the Symposium Organizing Committee by calling (619) 388-3156.
Symposium Organizing Committee
Daniel Velazquez, Outreach Program Coordinator
Cesar Gumapas, Public Information Officer
Kim De La Rue, Communications Office
Victor Chen, City College Webmaster
Carol Withers, Professor and City College Librarian
Patricia Fernandez, Supervisor Duplicating
Rafael Alvarez, MESA Director
Misael Camarena, Professor of Mathematics
George Jessup, Professor of Mathematics
Erin Engstrom, Professor of Communication Studies
Deanna Shelton, Professor of Communication Studies
María-José Zeledón-Pérez, Professor of Communication Studies