Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

Steps for New Veteran Students

Step 1: Apply to San Diego City College

Click To Apply

 If you have questions, live chat with a Veterans Office staff member. Click Here

Monday-Thursday 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM

Friday 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM

If you were flagged as a CA non-resident, these are some options that may apply

Veterans Non-Resident Tuition Exemption Form - Click Here

  • Veteran will need to attach DD-214 member page 4
  • Meet minimum of active military service
  • Eligible dependents will need to attach their Certificate of Eligibility & DD-214 for the service member

Spouse/Dependents of Active Duty Service Members: Click Here

Form can be completed by Mr. John Marshall's Office located at :
32nd Street, Naval Base Bldg 56, Room 116 
Mr. John Marshall's Office
PSD Ashore
Phone: (619) 556-6367 
Hours: (due to COVID restrictions, call to confirm hours)

The forms will need to be submitted via JIRA - Student Support Desk

Step 2: Apply for Educational Benefits

Apply for educational benefits online at
Processing time 30-45 days to receive Certificate of Eligibility


Step 3: Temporary Education Plan/Submit Official Transcripts

You will need to speak with a counselor for a temporary education plan.  You will need to have a copy of your unofficial transcripts at the time of your appointment.

Email us to schedule a meeting with a military counselor:

Submit Prior Transcripts, including military transcripts (JST)

Transcripts should be sent electronically, whenever possible. For more information please Click Here

Once all transcripts are received, you must submit a request for transcript evaluation: Submit Request for Transcript Evaluation

Please note: All transcripts must be on file and evaluated before you are certified for your second semester. Transcript evaluations are currently taking 3 months.

Step 4: Apply for Financial Aid

Apply for Financial Aid at 

(SDCCD Code #001273)
Processing time 8-10 weeks.

Apply for CCPG Fee Waiver


Step 5: Get help selecting your classes and learn About City College

If you need assistance from an academic counselor to select the appropriate courses for your major, please email for an appointment request. Please include your 10-digit student ID Number in the subject line. 

You may also schedule a drop in session with the Counseling Department. To reach counseling staff,  please call  619.894.6118 or 619.388.3540  during business hours: Monday to Thursday 8:00 AM- 5:30 PM and Friday 8:00 AM - 1:00 PM  or email

New Student Campus Orientation  Click Here

Step 6: Enroll in Classes and Submit your intake paperwork

Register for Classes at MySDCCD Portal

The VA cerification process is not automatic, you will need to submit the following after enrolling in classes: 

If this is your first semester using your education benefits at City College, submit the following items online to the JIRA - Student Support Desk

  • VA Statement of Understanding
  • Verification of Military/Veteran Status (attach DD-214 Member copy 4)
  • Certificate of Eligibility 
  • VA Semester Worksheet
  • Any and all unoffcial transcripts - for any prior college you attended including a JST

Ch. 33 Post 9/11 intake checklist

Ch. 31 Veterans Readiness & Employment

Ch. 35 Dependents Educational Assistance intake checklist

If you were flagged as a CA non-resident you will also need to submit a Veterans Non-Resident Exemption Form via the JIRA - Student Support Desk

  • Veterans Non-Resident Exemption Form - if you are classified as a CA non-resident for Tuition Purposes 
  • Class Adjustment - Submit only if you make changes to your classes (add/drop)

If you have used your education benefits at City College before, submit the following forms online. Continuing Veterans should submit these forms via JIRA - Student Support Desk each semester to continue being certified

  • VA Semester Worksheet
  • Class Adjustment - Submit only if you make changes to your classes (add/drop)