Skip to main contentSkip to footer content

State Aid Programs

Fee Waiver

California College Promise Grant

The California College Promise Grant, formerly known as the Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver (BOGW), waives enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year. Students may receive a waiver for any number of units, with no minimum. You may qualify if you have some financial need, receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF), Supplemental Security Income/SSP or General Assistance and those who meet certain income standards.

The California College Promise Grant (Board of Governors Fee Waiver) ONLY waives ENROLLMENT FEES ($46 per unit)*. You are responsible to pay any fees not covered by your award at the time of registration to avoid being dropped for non-payment.

How to Apply?

Currently there are two ways to apply for the CCPG. California resident students who complete a FAFSA will be automatically considered for the CCPG. A student can also apply for the CCPG by filling out the PDF form.                     

This application is also available in the Financial Aid Office.

Method A -You, or your parents if applicable, must be currently receiving benefits from CalWORKs, TANF, Supplemental Security Income (SSI)/SSP, or General Relief. Bring verification of your benefits, dated within the last 60 days, to the Financial Aid Office or submit documentation through Jira.

Method B - You, or your parents if applicable, must meet the following income standards for the school year. Your income must be equal to or less than the amount indicated based upon your family household size, as indicated in the table below. Supporting documentation must be submitted through Jira.

method b                                                

5CCR § 58620: Student (dependent or independent) household income in the
prior year equal to or less than 150% of the U.S. Department of Health and
Human Services Poverty Guidelines for a family of that size. 

5CCR § 58620(b)(1)(F): For purposes of this subdivision, U.S. Department of
Health and Human Services Poverty Guidelines used each year shall be the most
recently published guidelines immediately preceding the academic year for
which a fee waiver is requested.

Method C - You must have already applied for and been determined to have at least $1,104 of financial need by filing a FAFSA or the California Dream Act. No California College Promise Grant (CCPG) application is required for a Method "C"

Method D - Designed for students under the age of 25 who can verify that they have been without residence (homeless) in the last 24 months. They will select yes on the CCPG application and provide proof to the Financial Aid Office for verification through Jira.

Additional Information

The Financial Aid office reviews your application. You must be a California resident. The CCPG will cover fall, winter/ intersession, spring, and summer semesters. The CCPG only covers enrollment fees, it is not a book award or book grant, and it is not a loan. If you apply for the CCPG after you pay your fees, you may be reimbursed, as long as you complete and submit your application prior to the end of the semester. For question related to reimbursement contact Student Accounting. If a student is determined later to have been ineligible for a CCPG who was already awarded, the CCPG will be automatically cancelled and the fees reassessed to the student's account.


STUDENTS ENROLLED IN A BACHELOR'S PROGRAM AT SAN DIEGO CITY, MESA, OR MIRAMAR MUST APPLY FOR THE CCPG FEE WAIVER THROUGH THE FAFSA OR CALIFORNIA DREAM ACT APPLICATION.  Per Education Code section 78042(c), students who wish to apply for a California College Promise Grant (CCPG) waiver must submit either a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or a California Dream Act application in lieu of completing the Board of Governors Fee Waiver application.


Cal Grant

Cal Grants are offered by the State of California and administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Like Pell Grants, Cal Grants do not have to be repaid. Cal Grants are available for undergraduate students who are enrolled in at least six units per semester and who have not earned a bachelor's degree. You may not receive Cal Grant funds from more than one college at a time. To apply for a Cal Grant, you will need to complete the FAFSA or the CA Dream Act Application.

How to Apply

All students start the application process by completing and submitting either the Free Application for Ferderal Student Aid (FAFSA) or California Dream Act Application (CADAA) by March 2nd each year. You must als submit a GPA Verificartion Form to the state on or before March 2nd each year. If you are a current student at San Diego City College and have completed at least 16 units at San Diego City College, we will electronically submit your GPA verification. Community Colleges have a second deadline to submit a GPA verification on September 2nd each year. This will allow students who complete 16 units after summer semester to apply for a Cal Grant.

There are three types of Cal Grants that a student might receive at San Diego City College.

1. Cal Grant B Entitlement - designed for financially needy students who graduated from high school and who meet the grade point average and family income asset requirements as determined by the CSAC. Cal Grant B pays up to $1,672 per year while you are attending San Diego City College.

2. Cal Grant B Competitive - designed for students who meet the academic, family, income, and disadvantaged background requirements as determined by the CSAC. Cal Grant B pays up to $1,672 per year while you are attending San Diego City College.

3. Cal Grant C - designed for two-year vocational students. This grant is available for up to two years. If you qualify for this grant, please log into your WebGrants account and submit the online Cal Grant C Supplemental Form by the specified deadline.

Can I switch and receive different types of Cal Grant?

No. Once you have received your Cal Grant (B or C), you cannot change your type of Cal Grant in the following years.

If you don't want to receive your Cal Grant and save it - you can request a "Leave of Absence" for up to 2 years. This can be done through WebGrants 4 Students

Student Success Completion Grant (SSCG)

The SSCG is a community college financial aid program for Full Time Cal Grant B and Cal Grant C recipients enrolled in 12+ units. The purpose of the SSCG grant is to provide students with additional financial aid to help offset the total cost of community college attendance, and to encourage full-time attendance and successful on-time completion. SSCG funding is limited and the grant is subject to the availability of funds.

Disbursement Amount per Semester:

12-14.99 units = $1,298

15+ units = $4,000

Additional Information

Be a California resident or an eligible AB540 student

Not have a bachelor's or professional degree

Have a high school diploma or equivalent

Must be a Cal Grant B or C recipient that received a full-time Cal Grant payment

Must be enrolled full-time(12 units or more)

Must be meeting Federal Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards

Must have unmet need to receive the SSCG

*Please note: Students might be able to "make up" full-time units during the following Summer term.

In order to take advantage of this new grant please ADD all your units by the semester Census Date/ Freeze Date.

Chafee Grant

What is Chafee?

If you are or were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need, you may qualify for up to $5,000 a year for career and technical training or college. You don’t have to pay this money back. You may also be able to use your grant to help pay for child care, transportation and rent while you’re in school. You can use your Chafee Grant at any eligible California college or university or career or technical school, as well as schools in other states.

Chafee Foster Youth Eligibility Requirements

To qualify, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Not have reached your 26th birthday as of July 1st of the award year.
  • AND
  • Be a current or former foster youth who was a dependent or ward of the court, living a in out-of-home foster care placement, between the ages of 16 and 18.
  • OR
  • Be a youth who was placed in out-of-home care by a tribe or tribal organization between the ages of 16-18.
  • Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 units or more)
  • Not have participated in the program for more than 5 years (whether or not consecutive)

Application Process

To be considered for a California Chafee Grant, you must complete the following:

WebGrants 4 Students

Chafee if you have any questions email

Chafee Grant Factsheet